Information presented on this web page is intended for informational and educational purposes only and is not meant to be taken as legal, financial, investment or tax advice. We do not accept any responsibility for any trading or investment related losses. Please review our disclaimer on before taking action based upon anything you read or see.
Many people ask “Can I Open Bank Account without a Permanent Address”
Opening a bank account is a tedious process. Banks usually require an address to verify your identity and send correspondence. Banks need to be able to send you official documents and statements. It cannot be easy to open a bank account if you don’t have a permanent address.
Some banks have a strict policy where you can’t open a bank account without a permanent address. The only exception is if you have a preexisting relationship with the bank, for example, an existing personal or business account with them.
The good news is that there are some exceptions to this rule. You can open an account with the following documents:
- SSN card or ITIN Card
- State ID card
- Foreign passport with US Visa
- Utility bill or bank statement addressed to your name at your temporary address in the US.
- School records
Banks that allow you to open an account without a US address some
Some banks will require a Social Security Number as identification, which can be difficult for those without US addresses.
While it is possible to open a bank account without having a US address, some banks allow this more than others. Banks that allow you to open an account without a US address include:
- USAA Bank
- Bank of the West
- Charles Schwab Bank
- Ally Bank
- First National Bank of Omaha
- Pacific Western Bank
- Capital One-Chase (all branches)
- Citibank (all branches)
- Chase (all branches)
Requirements for opening an international bank account
Opening an international bank account can be a difficult process. Many requirements must be met to open one.
Select the country where you live and the country in which you want to open an account.
You need to be at least 18 years of age and meet other specific criteria before applying.
To complete your application, you may be asked to provide the following information:
- your employment, income, and tax information
- perfect proof of your identity, including passports, driving licenses, or national IDs
- proof of address, such as a bank statement, utility bill, or other proof of residency
- You may be asked to give consent, or other documents, on a case-by-case basis.
- Bank statement from current account
When applying for a joint account, you’ll need to provide details for both applicants. These requirements can vary depending on the country that the bank is located in, as well as the country that one is living in.
How can people with no US address get a credit card?
Many people need a US address to get a credit card. But a few options allow you to get one without an address.
- One option is to apply for an international credit card. These cards are issued by banks outside of the US and offer the same benefits as a typical card, but they may charge higher fees or have other restrictions. You can apply for a credit card if you have an established credit history in the US and are currently over 18 years of age.
- Another option is to use pre-paid cards. These cards are funded with a pre-paid amount of money and provide benefits similar to those of a typical card. However, the prepaid card may not be able to accommodate as much spending as a traditional card, though it may be easier and cheaper for some people than other forms of credit.
- A third option is to use an app like PayPal or Venmo that allows you to digitally transfer money to friends and family members in the US, who will transfer it back after receiving it into their account.
What you need before applying for a US bank account
A US address is not required if the applicant is an international student or in the United States on an H-1B visa or J-1 visa status. They will leave the country soon after applying for their account with their sponsor employer’s assistance.
For a resident bank account:
- The first thing you need to do before applying for a bank account is to check if your passport has an expiration date. You will need a valid visa or permanent residency card if it does.
- Next, you will need to know the address of where you are staying in the United States. This is because banks may require proof of address and proof that you are a resident of the United States.
- Lastly, you should have some money in your account before applying for one. Banks usually require that applicants have at least $1,000 in their account before they can be approved for an account.
Some US banks require that you have a social security number before applying for an account. If you don’t have one, you should apply for a US tax ID number to get one before applying for a bank account with the IRS, or avoid these banks altogether and find ones that don’t require this information to open an account.
Before applying for a non-resident US bank account, you must ensure that you are eligible for such an account. For example, if you are a US citizen, you are not eligible for this account. You may also be ineligible if you have already been convicted of a crime or if your balance needs to be higher to qualify for the account.
There is also a residency requirement – the applicant must be a resident of another country, not the United States. There are many reasons a person may want to open a non-resident US bank account, but before applying for one, it is important to know what you need and what the process entails.
- The first step is to find a bank that offers the type of account you are looking for and then fill out an application form online or in person at the branch. You must provide your name, address, contact information, and proof of identity (such as your passport).
- You will also need to provide information about your income and assets and answer questions about why you want the account.
- The bank may also ask for additional documentation, such as a tax return or proof of residency abroad.
A bank account is necessary for many people in the US, and getting one without a permanent address is difficult. However, there are a few ways you can do that.
If you have a social security number, you should be able to open an account. If not, you can use your driver’s license and utility bill as proof of address. You can also use a friend’s address as your permanent residence if they are willing to vouch for you.
You will need to provide the following documents when opening a bank account in the US:
- A valid passport or another form of government-issued photo ID
- Proof of address, such as a utility bill or rental agreement
- Social security card or birth certificate
- Bank account information from your home country, including routing and account numbers.
I am Lavinia by name, and a financial expert with a degree in finance from the University of Chicago. In my blog, I help people to educate by making wise choices regarding personal investment, basic banking, credit and debit card, business education, real estate, insurance, expenditures, etc.